Author Topic: which les paul?  (Read 2843 times)

Offline Gunner89

• GNR Shredder
which les paul?
« on: June 11, 2010, 11:17:01 AM »
hey guys, im looking to buy a new Gibson Les Paul, im currently playing a Epi Les Paul Standard Plus and im now willing to spend the money for a Gibson.

Which version should i get, do i save some money and get a Studio or Studio Deluxe and then regret not spending more?

Or pay now and get a Standard or something? I like the 08 Desert Burst and i like the older looking gold tops, not the ones with the really shiny tops.

I play guns style, also play a lot of bucketheads more mellow stuff, (soothsayer, padamansa, sail on soothsayer etc)

Thanks

Offline Kov

• Spotlight Soaker
  • 2010.IX.24. Arena Zagreb FIRST ROW! :)
Re: which les paul?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 09:14:26 PM »
You should keep the current guitar and put bare knuckles handmade pickups for it. Cheaper deal, better results.

Offline nemo

• Soldier
  • ChiDem Frontline
  • Le roi soleil
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 05:18:16 PM »
You should keep the current guitar and put bare knuckles handmade pickups for it. Cheaper deal, better results.

This, to be honest an Epi's probably just as good as most of the recent Gibson LP Studios, some of the studios I've played have been horrific.

And either of these are probably gonna sound better than an LP Standard.

Tokai Love Rock
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tokai-Love-Rock-ALS-48-Cherry-Sunset-Electric-Guitar-/110553960805?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item19bd879165#ht_4655wt_913

Burney RCL 3 pickup with Bigsby (God, I want that guitar so bad)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Burny-Rcl-85-LP-3-Pickup-Bigsby-Black-Uber-Cool-/380239251403?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item58880687cb#ht_500wt_928

Edwards Les Paul Standard.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Used-EDWARDS-LES-PAUL-Standard-E-LP-98LTS-VHB-315836405-/280528443351?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item4150cc57d7#ht_3289wt_913

Fernandes Ravelle (tis gorgeous, I've got one of these, but the elite model with the sustainer pick-up in the neck rather than the deluxe)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Fernandes-Ravelle-Deluxe-series-translucent-red-/300350750652?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item45ee4cbfbc#ht_926wt_913

Offline RKD

• KINGSHIP
  • The artist formerly known as Rick
    • Rick D Music Website
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 07:20:13 PM »
Burney RCL 3 pickup with Bigsby (God, I want that guitar so bad)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Burny-Rcl-85-LP-3-Pickup-Bigsby-Black-Uber-Cool-/380239251403?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item58880687cb#ht_500wt_928

:O wow i thought my burny was nice, granted mine was about £200 less than that price so i got what i paid for haha

I would personally go for that, which is this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Burny-Fernandes-RLC-80S-Electric-Guitar-w-Sustainer-PU-/390214889982?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item5ada9eb1fe#ht_5181wt_1137

i got it for £475 so you can get it cheaper or maybe my dealer just likes me alot since i spent about £3000 with him in the last 3 years lmao Its gorgeous toned, gorgeous to look at, has a sustainer pickup and is just one of the best guitars i've bought.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 07:22:25 PM by RKD »

Offline bucketsixx

• Soldier
  • Spotlight Soaker
  • Witchfinder General
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 10:35:08 AM »
+1 on any of the japanese les pauls. Years ago the japanese factories obtained the original Les Paul blue prints so have been building them just like the 50s models ever since, with the proper long neck tenons, correct wood,neck angle etc...

I own an Edwards LP JR and would never go back to lower end/mid gibsons again.

Offline King bumb.l.foot II

• 10Sun Risen
  • KINGSHIP
  • Sweeeeeeeeet Adelineeeeeeeeee
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 04:03:47 AM »
Tokai love rocks are always getting great praise.  People say that they are better than Gibson in most comparisons.

My advide is, keep the current Epi, buy some kick ass pickups, and you will be satisfied

Offline Phenomenal

• ChiDem Rocker
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 02:31:36 AM »
hey guys, im looking to buy a new Gibson Les Paul, im currently playing a Epi Les Paul Standard Plus and im now willing to spend the money for a Gibson.

Which version should i get, do i save some money and get a Studio or Studio Deluxe and then regret not spending more?

Or pay now and get a Standard or something? I like the 08 Desert Burst and i like the older looking gold tops, not the ones with the really shiny tops.

I play guns style, also play a lot of bucketheads more mellow stuff, (soothsayer, padamansa, sail on soothsayer etc)

Thanks

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Buckethead-Signature-Les-Paul.aspx

:)

P.S. - here it is for $2500

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Buckethead-Les-Paul-First-Production-Baritone-/260631011794?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item3caed1a1d2
:tongue:

Offline Gez

• GNR Shredder
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 03:45:22 PM »
Ok,

I'm sorry...but anyone who can compare an epiphone les paul with a gibson (even a studio) that you have actually put some effort into to test play or at least have some sort of idea if it's a keeper, deserves to stay with teh shit that epiphone put out.

Granted, in recent years Gibson have put out some lower quality les pauls on the same line as some really awesome ones, but the same goes for any manufacturer. The bottom line is, you could go to a guitar shop, pick up 4 or 5 gibson studio's and 95% of the time they will blow away each of the 20-30 epiphone customs or standards there.

Look into the Gibson Studio Premium Plus models mate. They were discontinued in 2007, but you'll find a few around. I've played Gibson standards and trust me, if you can get one of the really good ones (most of them were) you'll never regret getting a studio premium plus. Unless of course you are a huge faggot that bitches about binding.

The fact that it's chambered is a bit of a meh, but I guess it does make it easier than carrying an anvil around.

Just...never encourage anyone looking to upgrade to buy anything that epiphone makes. It's all chinese shit.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 03:47:24 PM by Gez »
lol. :) your posts dude made my day:)

Offline nemo

• Soldier
  • ChiDem Frontline
  • Le roi soleil
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 06:08:09 PM »
I think that's why we were encouraging him to buy Japanese instead.  They're making the guitars Gibson should be, with unbelievable quality control and at a much lower price, only difference is you don't get the word 'Gibson' on the headstock.

Though I'd still say that if you're looking for value for money the Epis with a decent set of pick-ups are a better deal than a Gibson.  It may not be quite as much of an upgrade but at least you're not being completely ripped off for the privilege.

Offline Gez

• GNR Shredder
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 07:17:00 AM »
Yeah, I agree with you nemo. The higher end Tokai's are amazing. The low end ones are probably a bit better than Epi's. But then again, the high end Tokai's are still damn expensive.

And as for being ripped off...that's the reason you buy used. I don't think I'll ever buy another guitar new. Or any other piece of equipment for that matter. Aslong as you do your research and not be an idiot, youw on't get ripped off.
lol. :) your posts dude made my day:)

Online Sean

• Admin of the Mofo
  • 'ChiDem' CEO
  • ChiDem Frontline
  • only castles burning..
    • http://WWW.GUNSNROSES.US
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 07:54:51 AM »
Yeah, I agree with you nemo. The higher end Tokai's are amazing. The low end ones are probably a bit better than Epi's. But then again, the high end Tokai's are still damn expensive.

And as for being ripped off...that's the reason you buy used. I don't think I'll ever buy another guitar new. Or any other piece of equipment for that matter. Aslong as you do your research and not be an idiot, youw on't get ripped off.

I agree for most things buying used is the way to go.  For sure with Guitars!  my best guitar is a 1986 Gibson LP Junior  that I got for $300 used. 
What are your current thoughts about Kurt Cobain?

Axl: I said I'm going on ChiDem now and he said whatever & walked away other than that I've been busy.

Offline Kov

• Spotlight Soaker
  • 2010.IX.24. Arena Zagreb FIRST ROW! :)
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 02:32:12 AM »
Ok,

I'm sorry...but anyone who can compare an epiphone les paul with a gibson (even a studio) that you have actually put some effort into to test play or at least have some sort of idea if it's a keeper, deserves to stay with teh shit that epiphone put out.

Granted, in recent years Gibson have put out some lower quality les pauls on the same line as some really awesome ones, but the same goes for any manufacturer. The bottom line is, you could go to a guitar shop, pick up 4 or 5 gibson studio's and 95% of the time they will blow away each of the 20-30 epiphone customs or standards there.

Look into the Gibson Studio Premium Plus models mate. They were discontinued in 2007, but you'll find a few around. I've played Gibson standards and trust me, if you can get one of the really good ones (most of them were) you'll never regret getting a studio premium plus. Unless of course you are a huge faggot that bitches about binding.

The fact that it's chambered is a bit of a meh, but I guess it does make it easier than carrying an anvil around.

Just...never encourage anyone looking to upgrade to buy anything that epiphone makes. It's all chinese shit.

Well Gibsons are way too overpriced for what they are. I'm not saying that if I had the choice, I wouldn't want one, but the Epi LP standard plus with A category pickups get the tone. For half the price. Mine has the standard pickups for now, which... well they are nowhere near Gibson. Man, they are faaaar. But I tried an Epi with these: http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk , I think the "Black Dog", on a Marshall JCM 800, and as comparison, a '97 Gibson. The Epi with those bad boys was up to par. I can only encourage you all to put these pickups in anything though. :)

And Epis aren't bad to play either. It was OK at first, then I took it to a luthier who set it up properly and it's a dream.

Again, I'm looking at this from the budget side, in Hungary Gibsons are even more ridiculously overpriced than usual. (yeah, used ones too.) And as a university student, most of my money is invested in destroying my brain cells (which could just make your point valid, but nevermind :P ), so money can be an issue.  :smirk: And if I can get the same results for less... I won't try to get a gibson, right now I'm saving money for the BK pu-s and a proper full valve Marshall instead of my valvestate 100.  That should get the job done.

Long story short, we agree on the fact that you should listen to everything then buy.  :D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 02:43:29 AM by Kov »

Offline RKD

• KINGSHIP
  • The artist formerly known as Rick
    • Rick D Music Website
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 06:13:08 AM »
Played a different Burny LP yesterday, this one without the sustainer pedal or the Floyd Rose but damn it was still gorgeous in playing, sound, everything. I think Burnys are my guitars from now on!

Offline eddierose0608

• GNR Shredder
  • "Broken glass and Cigarettes"
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 09:40:44 AM »
I have a vintage v100 itrs a les paul copy but its a brilliant guitar. My mate had a les paul and he always says mine just as good as his.
Estate Agent: I see your a guns n' roses fan... They have quite a reputation. You won't be holding parties here will you???
Me: No  just the occasional shindig.
Estate Agent: Thats ok then.

GNR Audio N' Video
GNR Tracker